Alexandria Police Department
501 3rd Avenue West
Alexandria, MN 56308
Emergency: Dial 911
Police Department Lobby Hours
M-F 8:00am - 4:30pm
Community Message Service
Subd. 1. It is unlawful for any person to operate a snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle (ATV) in violation of the following: On a private property of another without the express permission to do so by the owners and occupant of said property.
1. On public school grounds, park property, playgrounds, recreational areas and golf courses without express permission to do so by the proper public authority.
2. On any public sidewalk or boulevard.
3. On any roadway unless the operator shall have a valid motor vehicle driver's license issued to the operator by the State of Minnesota, or shall have a valid Instruction Permit issued to the operator by the State of Minnesota and is accompanied by an adult licensed driver who is actually occupying a seat in the vehicle.
4. Without having such snowmobile or ATV registered as provided for in Minnesota Statutes Section 84.82 or Section 84.922, except that this provision shall not apply to the operation of a snowmobile or ATV on the private property of the owner by the owner or by a member of the owner's immediate family.
5. In a careless, reckless or negligent manner so as to endanger, or be likely to endanger the safety of any person or property of another.
Subd. 2. All snowmobiles and ATV's operated within the city shall have the following equipment:
1. Mufflers which are properly attached and which reduce the noise of operation of the vehicle to the minimum noise necessary for operating the vehicle, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, by-pass, or similar device on said vehicles.
2. Adequate brakes as required by Minnesota Statute 169.67, and at least one headlight and one taillight.
Subd. 3. It is unlawful for the owner or operator to leave or allow a snowmobile or ATV to be or remain unattended on public property while the motor is running or with the keys to start same in the ignition switch.
Subd. 4. The City Council may, by resolution, prohibit the operation of snowmobiles and/or ATV with the right-of-way of the public roads or streets or other City property within the City, when in the opinion of the City Council the public safety and welfare so requires.
Subd. 5. Minnesota Statutes Section 84.87, and all the provisions thereof, are hereby adopted by reference and made a part hereof as fully and completely as though set forth herein in full.
RESOLUTION REGULATING SNOWMOBILE ROUTES
WHEREAS, the City Council of the City of Alexandria has determined that the safety of the public and individuals using snowmobiles within the City of Alexandria is of the utmost concern; and
WHEREAS, Alexandria City Code Section 6.18, Subd. 4 permits the City Council by resolution to prohibit the operation of snowmobiles within the right-of-way of public roads, streets or other City property when the City Council determines that the public safety and welfare so require; and
WHEREAS, the City Council of the City of Alexandria has determined that the public safety and welfare of its residents and those persons using the City streets requires the closing of certain designated streets to all snowmobile traffic;
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the City Council of the City of Alexandria, Minnesota:
1. That snowmobile traffic shall be expressly and completely prohibited during all periods within the area of the City of Alexandria (a) bounded on the north by Third Avenue, and on the south by Tenth Avenue, which is located between Fillmore and Irving Street except at the intersection of Fifth Avenue West at Fillmore Street, and (b) bounded on the north by Eighth Avenue and on the south by Tenth Avenue, which is located between Nokomis and Lake Streets.
2. That snowmobile traffic shall be permitted in the City of Alexandria subject to all provisions of the Alexandria City Code and applicable state law herein, only within the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, and 7:00 a.m. Friday to 1:00 a.m. Saturday and 7:00 a.m. Saturday to 1:00 a.m. Sunday of each week.
3. That snowmobile traffic shall be prohibited at all times on the following streets, avenues and roads in the City of Alexandria:
Jefferson Street except between Second Avenue and Eleventh Avenue
McKay Avenue north of the Central Lakes Trail
ADOPTED by the City Council of the City of Alexandria this 11th day of May, 2009, by the following vote:
YES: BIGGER, CARLSON, MILLER, FRANK
Subd. 1. BICYCLES ON SIDEWALKS PROHIBITED. It shall be unlawful for any person to ride a bicycle on the sidewalks adjacent to streets within an area bounded by 3rd avenue to 8th avenue and Elm Street to Irving Street, (including the streets on the perimeter of the defined area) in the City of Alexandria at any time.
Subd. 2. SKATEBOARDS AND INLINE SKATES ON PUBLIC STREETS AND SIDEWALKS. It shall be unlawful for any person to use a skateboard or inline skates at any time on the public street, or the sidewalk adjacent thereto within an area bounded by 3rd Avenue to 8th Avenue and Elm Street to Irving Street and along Broadway between 8th Avenue and 10th Avenue inclusive of the street right of way on the perimeter of the defined area.
Subd. 1. Curfew - minors under the age of 16. No person under the age of 16 years shall be on any public street or alley, or in the park or other public ground or building, place of amusement, entertainment or refreshment, or vacant lot between the hours of 11:00 pm and 6 am.
Subd. 2. Curfew - Parents and Guardians. It is unlawful for any parents, guardians, or any other persons having legal care or custody of any minor person under the age of 16 years to allow or permit such person to violate the provisions of subdivision 1 hereof.
Subd. 3. Curfew - Places of Amusement, Entertainment or Refreshment
It is unlawful for any person operating or in charge of any place of amusement, entertainment or refreshment, or other place of business to allow or permit any person under the age of 16 to be or loiter in such place between the hours of 11 pm and 6 am, unless such minor is accompanied by their parent, guardian, or other person having the legal care or custody of said minor.
Subd. 4. Exception: Such curfew shall not apply to any student under the age of 16 years who shall be lawfully attending, going to, or returning directly to their home from school, church or community sponsored athletic, musical and social activities or events, or from attendance at activities at the Alexandria Youth Center.
Subd. 5. Enforcement: Any person under the age of 16 years on a street or any other place in violation of this section shall be ordered to go home immediately. After investigation, if the responsible city authorities determine that Court action should be initiated, the minor shall be dealt with in accordance with juvenile court law and procedure.