Alexandria Police Department
501 3rd Avenue West
Alexandria, MN 56308
Emergency: Dial 911
Police Department Lobby Hours
M-F 8:00am - 4:30pm
In 1871, the first town constable was John Paulson.
In 1877, the City of Alexandria was founded.
In 1880, the first Night Watchman, John Hughes, was paid $1/night.
In 1888, the TF Cowings Opera House at 7th and Main was purchased by the City for $4,400 to be used for the Police Department and fire apparatus on the north side entrance. Later, in 1960, the Ed Thompson service station (south of the old hall) was purchased for $24,000 for the police and fire hall.
1st Police Chief Minor Sweet (pictured to the right)
Served 1907. Learn More...
In 1907, the first curfew ordinance was established. Under 16-years of age could not be out at night between the hours of 9 p.m.- 6 a.m. A fine of $10 was given on the second occurrence.
In April 1921, the penalty for prohibition of alcohol was a fine of not less than $50 or more than $100, plus imprisonment of no more than 90 days.
In April 1923, it was approved to advertise for dogcatcher to enforce the dog tax ordinance.
In May of 1940, the Police Department received permission from City Council to purchase a finger-printing outfit for $30.
March 1950, the Police Department consisted of Chief and 5 patrolmen
In June 1955, the bid for a radio system was accepted from General Electric in the amount of $3848 plus one additional mobile station at the cost of $483.34
12 minute meters for parking were installed on the north side of 7th Avenue East between Broadway and no parking area in February of 1964.
In February of 1966, a new patrol car was purchased from Steinbring Chevrolet in Alexandria at the cost of $1,091.12.
In 1968, Police Civil Service Commission action was taken to relax requirement that officers reside in the city.
October 1969, there was a total of 10 officers, including the Chief and Captain.
1971 Honda Police Bike on display in our lobby. Learn More...
In 1988, the Alexandria Police Department contributed one full time officer to the Drug Task Force.
In 2003, Captain Rick Wyffels attended the National FBI Academy.
In 2005, the Alexandria Police Department seized a Ford Mustang in an investigation which resulted in the subsequent forfeiture from a DWI. It hit the road as a squad in February 2007 and is used by the School Resource Officer.
In 2006, there were 20 officers which was comprised of a Chief, a Captain, and 3 Sergeants, and 15 Officers.
The Alexandria Police Department takes approximately 16,500 police calls on average each year. With that, 1,009 are arrest offenses and there is a solvability rate of 62 percent.
On June 1st, 2011, the Police Department moved into their new headquarters at 501 3rd Avenue West. The cost of the new building was $5.1 million including all furnishings to include technology, chairs, tables and desks.
In 2012, the Alexandria Police Department conducted a Citizens Police Academy. 16 citizens were chosen from an application process to participate in a 7-week program.
1st Police Chief - Minor Sweet - Served 1907
Chief RL Johnson - 1908
Chief William Schaekel - June 1908
Chief Lawfman - October 1909
Chief RL Johnson - March 1914 (appointed as Chief a second time)
Chief James Watters - Served from 1921 - 1922
Chief C.A. Olsen - Served 1923
Chief Charlie Watters - Served 1924 - 1927
Chief Ben Whitney - Served from 1928 - 1929
Chief Jerry Callaghan - Served 1930
Chief Charlie Watters - Served 1931- 1934
Chief Elon Hanson - Served 1935 - 1958
Chief Les Loch - Served 1959 - 1965
Chief George McKay - Served 1966 - 1986
Chief Charles Nettestad - Served 1986 - 2006
Chief Richard Wyffels - Served 2006 to current